Nothing New Project

Starting today, October 10, 2006, I will not buy anything new that I cannot make or buy used. I will do this for one complete year.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Knitprovisation


While browsing the New Books section of the Mead Public Library yesterday, I came across my new favorite craft book, Knitprovisation by Cilla Ramnek. Instead of confusing knitting patterns for start-from-scratch projects, she teaches a more organic approach to knitting with instructions such as, "Study the picture and improvise." Her projects often start with a knit item, such as an old sweater, and she gives tips on how to transform it. She even includes bags knit from plastic bags!

I've come to believe that knitting was never meant to be captured in a pattern. It's best learned through trial and error and making it up as you go along. With so many books on knitting out there in the universe, it's refreshing to finally find an author who gets it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home