Nothing New Project

Starting today, October 10, 2006, I will not buy anything new that I cannot make or buy used. I will do this for one complete year.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Skins & Skeins

I spent yesterday morning at Lisa's house with Amy. We were there to can tomatoes. My Hamburger Helper upbringing was void of such domestic acts so at age 23, tomato canning is new and fascinating. Plus, in light of my new project, it seems like an appropriate skill to learn. For utterly thorough canning instructions, check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

I also learned how to wind a skein (is that even the correct terminology?). Lisa has this really great skein winder that is ancient and charming. We had to prop up it's bad leg with a cookbook. It measures exactly two feet around so you can quickly wind your string and know exactly how long it is (example: 50 turns = 100 feet). When I have a studio, I think I'll try to make my own, except permanently attached to the wall. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for old wheels.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home